April 29th, 2015 at 7 am Publix will open doors to Asheville for the very first time. The store located at 1830 Hendersonville road in South Asheville will be the 1,101th store in the country. Citizens have been eagerly awaiting the much loved grocery store that is native to Florida, and several are wondering if the store will live up to the hype. We got a sneak peek at the new location this morning that we are eager to share with our readers.
Publix Quick Facts:
- The Asheville store will be open from 7 am to 10 pm daily
- This particular store is one of 8 that have a Cafe inside, located near the store entrance/exit. Equipped with fair trade, organic, shade grown coffee, a gelato/ice cream/sherbert bar, and delectable treats and snacks.
- The Publix bakery staff prides themselves on making the majority of deserts from scratch – no pre-made mixes. Even the buttercream cake icing is made in the store. The bakery will provide an array of deserts and cakes, including gluten free and sugar free wares.
- Started in 1930, Publix is celebrating 85 years this year
- 80% of the employees hired at the Asheville location are local. Staffers that were not hired locally were transferred from other stores to help assist in the running of the new store.
- Publix promises fresh produce, delivered daily. You are allowed to sample any produce item you are not sure about, and if your produce goes bad in your fridge within three days, bring it back for a refund, no questions asked.
- More than a grocery store, Publix offers pharmaceutical services, including a convenient drive through pharmacy. Certain medications, primarily ones for diabetes, high blood pressure, and infection are available free through the Publix pharmacy. These medications include Lisinopril, Metformin, Penicillin VK, Amoxicillin, and Amlodipine. Inquire at the pharmacy for more details.
- Publix carries as many local products as possible, and highlights local offerings on end caps and throughout the store. While touring the store today, staffers noted Green Man Brewing Company, Oskar Blues, local sweet potatoes, and more.
- The Asheville Publix will be the first location in WNC; the closest store is in Charlotte.
- You can purchase fresh, affordable Sushi at the Sushi center daily.
- Chicken and beef purchased at the meat counter are free range, hormone free, antibiotic free items that have been fed a purely vegetarian diet.
Pop in and check out the grand opening event happening tomorrow, browse the store, and tell us what you think! Check out these first look photos below:
What do you think? Are you happy that Publix has finally come to Asheville?